Leeches! Who are they and why do you have to protect your downloadable content from them? If you offer any files for download from your web site, other sites have to ask your permission in order to publish your materials on their sites. All your images, audio files, documents (etc.) are protected by copyright law. But, others still can offer your files to their visitors without crediting your site by simply putting direct download links that point to the files on your server. This method is called "hot linking" and the people who do this are called "leeches". You pay for the traffic, you lose visitors, you receive less revenue from any advertisements on your site and you compete with your own content. Leeches do not infringe any laws and thus you cannot complain to their hosting providers.
There are many anti-leech solutions around. Most of them are intended for Unix servers and require you to install and configure PHP scripts. Helicontech offers HotlinkBlocker, a surprisingly powerful anti-leech solution for Windows-based hosting. It installs as an MS IIS plug-in. You can easily install it on your dedicated Windows server or under your shared hosting account.
We've already reviewed several anti-leech solutions. Normally, they simply encrypt links on your site. This is not always feasible, since you may have to make changes to a large number of static pages or edit your server-side scripts. It's OK if you have enough time for this and you are a web programmer...
HotlinkBlocker allows you to choose from three different protection methods. You can use all three methods simultaneously by choosing the most appropriate method for each folder. The program hides your downloadable files and generates temporary links for every visitor. Links are valid only for a specified amount of time and cannot be published on other sites. This can also be used as a basic user authorization scheme.
This license agreement covers all existing versions of HotlinkBlocker or HotlinkBlocker beta from now on referred below as HotlinkBlocker unless otherwise specified.
1. All rights not expressly granted here are reserved by Helicon Tech.
2. All copyrights to HotlinkBlocker are exclusively owned by the author - Helicon Tech.
3. Helicon Tech grants permission to use HotlinkBlocker during a test period of 45-days. When the trial period is over you should either buy HotlinkBlocker or remove the HotlinkBlocker product.
4. The unregistered trial version of HotlinkBlocker, may be freely distributed, with exceptions noted below, provided the distribution package is not modified. No person or company may charge a fee for the distribution of HotlinkBlocker without written permission from the copyright holder. The unregistered trial version of HotlinkBlocker may not be bundled or distributed with any other package without written permission of the copyright holder.
5. HotlinkBlocker IS DISTRIBUTED "AS IS". NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND IS EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. YOU USE HotlinkBlocker AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE AUTHOR WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DATA LOSS, DAMAGES, LOSS OF PROFITS OR ANY OTHER KIND OF LOSS WHILE USING OR MISUSING THIS SOFTWARE.
6. You may not use, copy, emulate, clone, rent, lease, sell, modify, decompile, disassemble, otherwise reverse engineer, or transfer the licensed program, or any subset of the licensed program, except as provided for in this agreement. Any such unauthorized use shall result in immediate and automatic termination of this license and may result in criminal and/or civil prosecution.
7. The terms of this license are subjects of changes in future versions of HotlinkBlocker.
8. When you buy HotlinkBlocker license, the "Registration key" is being issued to you. This "Registration key" can only be used by the person (or company) purchased it and only on the single web site or a single computer depending on a type of license. If you buy more than one copy of HotlinkBlocker, the Registration key issued to you could be used only on the number of computers or web sites equal to the number of licenses you bought.
9. You can only use the "Registration key" received from Helicon Tech or the company affiliating or partnering with Helicon Tech and having written permission to distribute "Registration key".
10. Installing and using HotlinkBlocker signifies acceptance of these terms and conditions of the license.
11. If you do not agree with the terms of this license or if the terms of this license contradict with your local laws, you must remove HotlinkBlocker files from your storage devices and cease to use the product.
12. We adhere to strict privacy guidelines and do NOT collect personally identifiable information unless it is voluntarily provided.
If you have further questions or feedback, please visit us at http://www.helicontech.com/